6 places to check out around Furzedown & Cedars
Looking to know what you can do around Tooting?
Whether you’re looking for activities to keep you sane from uni work, to take the stress off your shoulders for a bit and have a breather; or just to find somewhere to hang out with your friends and corurse mates outside of the classroom, there’s plenty around Tooting to get you out the house.
Amy and Zoe, our Hall Reps at Furzedown & Cedars, share their top spots around Tooting to discover.
1. Grab a coffee ☕️
If you’re looking for your morning coffee, look no further than Cut The Mustard.
This cute little coffee shop is a takeaway artisan bakery and makes the most beautiful coffees, it’s quite popular with the residents at Furzedown and Cedars and is one of our personal favourite spots. Especially as it's less than a 5 minute walk away.
2. Need some art supplies? 🎨
Once you’ve grabbed your coffee, like a true artist at UAL you’ll probably be looking for supplies for your art course.
If you’re searching for material, buttons, and other bits and bobs you can go to Sewing and Craft Super Store just off Tooting Bec station. If you carry on a bit further, you’ll reach the Scrap Store that is full of surprising goodies, where you can pay a monthly subscription, but return as many times as you like and take anything that will help you in a project, as much as you want/need.
If it is more paint and traditional art supplies you want, then K&K Stationers and Printers in Tooting Broadway may be your next stop.
3. Discover Tooting Market 🛍
On your way into Tooting Broadway, you may find yourself passing Tooting Market, where you can find beautiful fabric stalls, exotic food, hidden bars and so much more.
The market is great for a spontaneous local adventure, to get out of your dorm, by yourself or with friends. Go and discover something yourself in Tooting market, I guarantee you’ll find something you’ll love.
4. Health and fitness hubs 💪🏼
After all that gorgeous food from the Market, you may want to burn off that energy by going to the gym.
We have an on-site gym at Furzedown Hall of residence, but if you want a larger more expert gym community to join, then there are plenty of local gyms within walking distance of both accommodations.
Or perhaps you’d like to go for a swim at Tooting Bec Lido, which holds the biggest lido pool in the country.
5. An area full of entertainment 🎭
If you want to escape Tooting for a bit more entertainment, Wimbledon isn’t far away, and easy to get to. You can hop on the Northern Line tube for 2 stops (from Tooting Broadway & 3 stops from Tooting Bec) or catch the number 57/131 bus.
Wimbledon is just a beautiful place to visit and is also home to The New Wimbledon Theatre which has lots of exciting shows, plays and musicals all year round. We quite often find ourselves taking monthly trips to the theatre to see a new show, or return to one that’s a cult classic you can’t ever get bored of.
If you’re more of a film fanatic, then visit some of the cinemas in Wimbledon, including the Odeon. We recommend Curzon if you sign up to under 25s/student discounts - you can get great deals and an older fashioned cinema experience in this Morden day and age.
6. Your fix for pubs and drinks 🍻
After a long and busy day either at Uni or going to get coffee and art supply shopping, walking through Tooting market, getting your gym on and going out to see a show, most probably you and your friends will be looking for a place to sit down and have a drink.
There are plenty of options around Tooting (which we will proudly say, we have tried almost every one, to find you the best deals and events to attend):
- There’s The Furzedown, which offers student nights and discounts to anyone who brigs their UAL ID.
- The Antelope, which hosts a really good pub quiz every Monday evening.
- Tequila Mockingbird for a cocktail or two, with offers going on during the week and happy hour daily, we’ve found the best time to go is on a Wednesday with half price cocktails.
- If it’s more of a sports bar you’re looking for then head on down to The Long Room for a pint and some football on the big screens.
- Or you can never go wrong with good old Wetherspoons, with Tooting’s local being JJ Moons.
If you are thinking about applying for Furzedown Student Village and Cedars Hall, or any of our halls and would like more information about the local areas, please contact our team.
You can call us on +44 (0)20 7514 6240 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover photo: Andrew Wilson on Flickr
- Read Next
- UAL Indian Society and Halls Life present.. RANGELA! Your March events at Cordwainers Court! LGBTQ+ History Month: Queer Illuminations Free food trucks for you! West End Theatre Trip to Standing at the Sky's Edge Your March events at The Costume Store! Your March events at Archwood house! Your March events at Gardens House & Portland House! Your March events at Sketch House! Your March events at Highline Building!
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 How to apply for discounted student travel Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China Opening a student bank account in the UK Make sure to register at your GP Fire Safety in Halls Student tours of UAL halls