Celariac & sorrel veloute
Suitable for vegan and vegetarian diets.
This recipe was created by one of our talented students, Jane Scobie at Chelsea College of Arts, in a collaborative workshop with UAL Climate Emergency Network and UAL Regenesis. A super fresh, comfort dish - the secret is to put crunchy pickled carrots at the bottom of the bowl!
Student story 🌱
As I study MA Arts and Science, I decided to participate in the workshop as it chimes with my core interests of ecology and food. I enjoyed the framing of the Regenisis Lab and the pace of learning! The different ways of thinking about the purpose of a recipe and how it can connect to wider societal and personal goals and values will feed into my ongoing work.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Small bunch of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1kg celariac (peeled and chopped)
- 1 potato (chopped)
- 1L veg stock
- 100ml soya cream
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pickled carrot
- Make the sorrel oil by blending fresh sorrel with a garlic clove and some olive oil.
- To make the pickled carrots, dice carrots into small cubes and marinate for 2-3 hours in cider vinegar with coriander seeds, castor sugar and half a red onion.
- In a large saucepan, hear the oil over a low heat. Tie the thyme sprigs and bay leaves together with a piece of string and add them to the pan with the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Tip in the celariac and potato, stir well and season with salt and white pepper.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are completely soft.
- Discard the herbs, then stir through the cream.
- Remove from the heat and blitz until smooth.
- Stir through 1/2 tbsp of sorrel oil at a time and taste for seasoning (the strength of the oil will vary, so it's better to start with less oil and add a little at a time).
- To serve, reheat the soup until piping hot.
- Place a spoon of pickled carrot at the bottom of each bowl.
- Ladle over the soup and top with pumpkin seeds, black pepper and a drizzle of sorrel oil.
Find more delicious recipes at @ualcatering
- Read Next
- Space4u Space4u Nicole's move in vlog | The Costume Store What's on September Lesia's move in vlog | Furzedown & Cedars Black culture market | Black History Month Sip and save for the Lemonaid & ChariTea refill store Competition time - fill your fridge! Tips for new Desis moving to London A beginner's guide to Stratford One
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home The Handy Halls Checklist 2023 YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 Where to buy your essential items for halls Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China How to apply for discounted student travel Student tours of UAL halls Opening a student bank account in the UK