How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK
Your National Insurance Number (also known as your NI number or “NIN”) is the UK version of a social security number. It is used to claim tax and benefits.
Do you intend to get a job and work whilst studying? Having a NI number is a requirement, and you cannot work without it.
The whole application process can now be done online. Before you get going, see below for some common questions and concerns...
Before you apply
1. If you have any of the following documents, get them ready before you start:
- a passport from any country
- a biometric residence permit (BRP)
- a national identity card from an EU country or from Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland
- You might need to enter information from one or more of these documents.
You can still apply if you do not have any of these documents, but you may need to attend an appointment in person to prove your identity.
2. If you can, you’ll need to take and upload:
- a photo of yourself holding your passport
- photos of other identity documents
You can use a smartphone, tablet or a digital camera.
You’ll be told how to take the photos and what they must look like during the application process. You can ask someone to take the photos for you.
After you apply you’ll get an email with your application reference number. The email will tell you if you need to provide further proof of your identity. It normally takes up to 8 weeks depending on the season, then you will receive your own NI number via email. However, depending on your employer, you can sometimes start working before you have received this.
In case you need more direct information, you can contact the National Insurance number application helpline (England, Scotland and Wales):
- Telephone: 0800 141 2079
- Textphone: 0800 141 2438
- British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
They're open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
- Read Next
- Halloween party | The Costume Store Celebrate Black History Month through food Lino printing | The Costume Store Murder mystery night | The Costume Store Murder mystery night | Gardens House Student Spotlight | Nadia Adni How to de-stress and relax workshop Afro fusion dance class What's on October Sip and paint at Skylight Peckham
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home The Handy Halls Checklist 2023 YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 How to apply for discounted student travel Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China Opening a student bank account in the UK Student tours of UAL halls Make sure to register at your GP