How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK
Your National Insurance Number (also known as your NI number or “NIN”) is the UK version of a social security number. It is used to give tax and benefits.
It is a requirement for anyone who intends to get a job and work in the UK. It is made up of a combination of numbers and letters such as ‘AA-12-34-56-A’.
Who needs a National Insurance Number?
If you want to work in the UK, you will need a national insurance number.
How can I get a National Insurance Number?
For those who plan to get one, here is the step-by-step procedure to help you with it.
1. Call the National Insurance number application line and ask for an application form.
National Insurance number application line:
Telephone: 0800 141 2075
Textphone: 0800 141 2438
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
2. Return the form
You’ll need to return the form along with proof of your identity and your right to work or study in the UK.
Just like any legal or government-related procedure, it will require photocopies of any of the applicable documents to you below.
- Identity card
- Copy of your visa
- Residence Permit
- Birth or Adoption Certificate
- Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate
- Driving License.
It normally takes two weeks or more depending on the season, then your new NIN card will be posted to you. However, depending on your employer, you can sometimes start working before you have received this.
Obtaining your National Insurance Number will make more than just employment accessible for you and your time in the UK, so why not find out more and apply today?
If you need any more help, our halls reception team will be more than happily assist you.
📞 Call: +44 (0)20 7514 6240 (8 am - 6 pm Monday - Friday)
💬IM Chat: via our website
- Read Next
- Your journey from Archwood House to college UAL Catering Survey Private Accommodation drop-in sessions UAL X Síoraí Bar | LGBTQ+ Club Night End of Year Celebrations in Halls Student tours of UAL halls Five student-friendly lunch box ideas How I made my best friends in halls Student Spotlight: life as a pageant girl My 6 top tips for living in halls
- How to apply to halls How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK Student tours of UAL halls YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 6 hall recommendations for returning students 8 things different about life in the UK vs China Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club Our handy halls checklist My 6 top tips for living in halls Make sure to register at your GP