Support and advice on how to stop smoking
In self-isolation, you cannot leave your flat as you need to minimise your contact with other students and staff. This means smoking may not be possible during this period. It is against the law to smoke inside a building and you must always observe the strict rules around fire safety.
Here is some useful information on support and advice on how to stop smoking.
1) Check out Stop Smoking London
Stop Smoking London has some amazing tools and resources which you can access virtually, including a stop smoking helpline and texting service.
2) Speak to your GP (doctor) or pharmacist
It’s good to talk to your GP to find out what they can do to help you stop smoking. GPs can prescribe nicotine replacement therapy (patches/gum) and stop smoking medication. You may also be eligible to get free prescriptions if you have applied for a HC1 Certificate.
3) Remember different things work for different people
There is lots of information out there to help people stop smoking. Different things work for different people. Remember to take one day at a time!
4) Smoking and COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
If you smoke, you generally have an increased risk of contracting respiratory infection and of more severe symptoms once infected. COVID-19 symptoms may, therefore, be more severe if you smoke.
5) NHS 10 Top Tips for quitting smoking
NHS has created 10 Top Tips to help people who are thinking about quitting smoking. Take a look to see how some of these tips may work for you!
We hope you’ve found this information useful. If you need support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a chat with a Health Adviser who can offer more advice on how to stop smoking.
- Read Next
- Emily Bowes Court: student room and kitchen tour Cedars Hall: student room and kitchen tour Chapter Lewisham: student room and kitchen tour The Costume Store: student room and kitchen tour Student room and kitchen tours Re-watch our halls open day webinars Reasons why my second language made me a great Halls Rep A week in the life of a Halls Rep Looking for a job that's literally on your doorstep? My top tips for staying motivated with university work
- Our handy halls checklist Thinking of returning to halls next year? Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Why I returned and lived in halls for 3 years Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE