Leftover bubble and squeak with poached egg
Suitable for vegetarian and gluten-free diets with only 376 calories per serving.
This is a classic British brunch dish that makes for a delicious lunch or dinner idea for two. Instead of throwing away your leftover vegetables and mashed potatoes from that Sunday roast, turn them into a delicious, savoury Bubble and Squeak.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 100g spinach
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 425g mash potatoes
- 150g leftover veg, chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, plus extra for serving
- 20g butter
- 2 eggs
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan set over a low-medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettleful of freshly boiled water to wilt. Cool under the cold tap, then squeeze dry and roughly chop.
- In a bowl, combine the onion and garlic, mash & chopped up veg paprika, spinach and a little seasoning. Mix well.
- In the same frying pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the mash mixture in two halves, shaping into flattened patties with a spatula. Cook for 6-8 mins on each side, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then crack in the eggs at separate sides of the pan and cook for 4 mins.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. To serve, top each bubble and squeak with a poached egg and sprinkle with a little extra paprika.
Find more delicious recipes at @ualcatering
- Read Next
- Space4u Space4u Nicole's move in vlog | The Costume Store What's on September Lesia's move in vlog | Furzedown & Cedars Black culture market | Black History Month Sip and save for the Lemonaid & ChariTea refill store Competition time - fill your fridge! Tips for new Desis moving to London A beginner's guide to Stratford One
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home The Handy Halls Checklist 2023 YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 Where to buy your essential items for halls Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China How to apply for discounted student travel Student tours of UAL halls Opening a student bank account in the UK