Leftover bubble and squeak with poached egg
Suitable for vegetarian and gluten-free diets with only 376 calories per serving.
This is a classic British brunch dish that makes for a delicious lunch or dinner idea for two. Instead of throwing away your leftover vegetables and mashed potatoes from that Sunday roast, turn them into a delicious, savoury Bubble and Squeak.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 100g spinach
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 425g mash potatoes
- 150g leftover veg, chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, plus extra for serving
- 20g butter
- 2 eggs
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan set over a low-medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettleful of freshly boiled water to wilt. Cool under the cold tap, then squeeze dry and roughly chop.
- In a bowl, combine the onion and garlic, mash & chopped up veg paprika, spinach and a little seasoning. Mix well.
- In the same frying pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the mash mixture in two halves, shaping into flattened patties with a spatula. Cook for 6-8 mins on each side, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then crack in the eggs at separate sides of the pan and cook for 4 mins.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. To serve, top each bubble and squeak with a poached egg and sprinkle with a little extra paprika.
Find more delicious recipes at @ualcatering
- Read Next
- UAL Indian Society and Halls Life present.. RANGELA! Your March events at Cordwainers Court! LGBTQ+ History Month: Queer Illuminations Free food trucks for you! West End Theatre Trip to Standing at the Sky's Edge Your March events at The Costume Store! Your March events at Archwood house! Your March events at Gardens House & Portland House! Your March events at Sketch House! Your March events at Highline Building!
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 How to apply for discounted student travel Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China Opening a student bank account in the UK Make sure to register at your GP Fire Safety in Halls Student tours of UAL halls