10 things that are only acceptable in London
Squishing into packed tubes at rush hour, grabbing a Pret on your way to uni, complaining about the costs of living in London but not wanting to live anywhere else... You couldn't be any more of a Londoner than that. 🤔
But what is it like for those seeing it from the outside? Here are some of the things that are only acceptable (and maybe even considered normal) in London:
1. Standing REALLY close to people on the tube 🫂
You are definitely inside at least three people’s personal bubbles but you have places to be and you’ve run out of time and patience.
2. Having McDonald's delivered to you 🍔🍟
It’s one in the morning, you have a deadline tomorrow and you need something to hold your sanity together. A McFlurry delivered straight to your hall's door is the answer.
3. Never ever going to Oxford Street on a Saturday 🙅🏼♀️
You will only ever do this once, then never ever again.
4. Treating tourist attractions like war zones ⚔️
Going to the Natural History Museum or Leicester Square whilst the kids are on holiday is a lot like trying to survive the end of the world. People are screaming, everyone’s running into each other, the food has gone...
5. Honestly consider taking the day off because of a tube strike 🙃
Those two words strike fear into any Londoner. You set your alarm clock two hours earlier than normal and try to mentally prepare yourself for the next 24 hours.
6. Not talking to anyone, ever 🤐
Yes, your noses might be touching on the tube, but you don’t utter a word and try to desperately not make eye contact.
7. Living in active wear 👟
This city moves too fast to wear anything but trainers. You might think that you can beat it, but eventually you will be worn down by blisters and swollen feet and join the rest of us.
8. Buying expensive coffee that you can’t really afford ☕️...
...because we need it, not want it!
9. Walks become your thing 🚶🏻♀️
If you often drive everywhere in your home town, you will become shocked at how your attitude changes towards walking. Sometimes you need to be at a destination 4 tube stops away, but you will decide to walk 'to clear your head'. Seems like an alien concept now, but by doing this you can discover so many places you wouldn't see on your underground commute.
10. And for all these reasons, you love London ❤️❤️❤️
Yes, as Londoners we like to complain a lot. However, it's all of these little quirks and differences that make us fall in love with the city too.
- Read Next
- Wine and cheese pairing night - Gardens House Your December events for Wick Park Sushi Making Sunday - Cordwainers Court Pizza making night - Cordwainers Court Taboo Tuesdays - The Grief Gang workshop London's latest restaurants on the block Cook-along-side these YouTubers WIN sustainable prizes in our Advent Calendar giveaway! VIVA MERCATO | Drag Queen Bingo Christmas Day
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home The Handy Halls Checklist 2023 YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 How to apply for discounted student travel Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China Opening a student bank account in the UK Make sure to register at your GP Student tours of UAL halls