How to rent your own place
Living outside UAL halls is different. You can meet students from other universities and explore different sides of the city.
The process can be tricky first time round, so we have a Private Accommodation Advisor who can give you advice and even read over your tenancy contract.
Here are some useful things to think about...
As a tenant, you should always sign a contract outlining your rights and responsibilities. Read this thoroughly before you sign and keep a copy in case you need to refer to it again. If you’ve got any questions or need help, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rent can vary a lot. You might be paying anything from £120 per week for a room in a shared house to £350 per week for a studio flat. And then there are bills. If they’re not included in your rent, utility bills like electricity, gas and water can cost between £10 and £20 per week. Telephone and internet will add around £5 extra a week and a TV Licence is £145.50 a year.
Rent is usually paid monthly in advance. Damage deposits usually cost between 6 weeks to 2 months rent. So you this commonly means you have to pay a total between 2½ and 3 months rent before you move in. Agency fees can also occur if you rent via a lettings agent. If you don’t have a guarantor you may be asked to pay much more rent in advance before you move in, please get in touch with our Private Accommodation Adviser if you have any questions about this.
A lot of properties are marketed or fully managed by letting agents. Legally, letting agents need to be members of a professional body or redress scheme, such as the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA). Letting agents must advertise their fees and charges in advance and aren’t allowed to charge you any money before you accept a property.
Our Top 5 house-hunting tips
- Look at more than one place. Take photos and notes so you can compare. Check out the place in person!
- Make sure you always get a receipt – And don’t pay large amounts in cash.
- Landlords should have proper bank accounts. If it doesn’t seem legitimate, don’t give them money or your bank details.
- Only pay rent to your landlord, not other tenants. Not sure about a place or worried about the contract? Ask us for advice.
- Don’t accept accommodation that’s dirty or in need of repair work.
- Read Next
- An Evening with Arts SU | UAL Social Digital Intimacies and online dating | Wellbeing Wednesday Wellbeing Wednesday: Anatomy and sexual pleasure Wellbeing Wednesday: Drug Awareness | UAL Social 15% off at hotel rooms near The Costume Store Rocky's Animal Farm | UAL Social Routemaster Bus Tour How to be a WELL BEING | Wellbeing Wednesdays Wellbeing Wednesday: The Art of Being Brilliant | UAL Social Vaccination centres near halls
- Our handy halls checklist Check in checklist IKEA Shopping Coach Trips Pride at UAL Harry Potter Warner Bros Studio Tour Tate to Tate Galleries Boat Trip Escorted Tour to Freshers' Fair Find out about our Airport Collection Service Wicked Theatre Trip | UAL Social Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls