Top tips on mentally preparing for university
First of all… CONGRATULATIONS! 🤩 You’re starting Uni and it’s going to be an amazing new chapter of your life. But it is also a big change, and it's important not to get overwhelmed.
Whether you're moving away for the first time or even transitioning from full-time work back into studying these top tips will help you to prepare for university.
1. Make some lists 📋
Lists are a worried person's best friend and ticking things off can feel like dropping weights off your shoulder. If you’re not sure what you should be listing, look here at our handy halls checklist. This will walk you through all the essential items you need to bring with you to halls.
If you are moving into private accommodation, make sure you check out our private accommodation moving in checklist too.
2. Get on top of your finances 💸
Money worries can cloud your excitement, so by planning your budget early you'll have an accurate picture of how much things are going to cost you, which will give you peace of mind before you arrive.
See if you can set up your student bank account and look into whether you can get an account with a decent overdraft facility. This doesn’t mean you can spend money you don’t have all on pizza BUT it does mean you have something to fall back on if unexpected costs come your way.
Keep your uni, student finance and accommodation documents etc together so that you don't lose anything important. Having these things all in one place will help you feel like you’re organised and on top of everything.
3. Learn to cook, if you can't already... 👨🏻🍳
Cooking is a great stress reliever, and if you’re leaving home for the first time it’s a fantastic chance to learn. If you have some time over the summer why not get a head start and get practising your cooking skills by trying out a few simple recipes.
Knowing you can cook yourself something delicious (or even prepare something for your new flatmates!) will give you a great start. Not to mention that good nutrition will work magic for your mental and physical health to carry you through your hand-ins and hangovers alike.
4. Take some time to reflect on how far you’ve come 😎
Before you start your UAL journey, take some time to reflect on how far you’ve come. You may want to do this by collecting a few photos, perhaps to put up in your new room. Taking stock of your achievements and taking pride in yourself is valuable to give you that confidence to take on anything.
Filling in this "Wheel of Life" could help you reflect on areas of your life you are content and help highlight those areas you'd like to work on.
5. Remember, the worlds your oyster… literally. 🎡
Being open to new things and opportunities is a wonderful way to be mentally ready for what the following year may bring. Research your course to see what alumni have achieved and see what societies you may want to join, this bit is all about replacing anxieties of what’s to come with excitement about what new challenges might bring.
Being prepared and doing some research before you arrive is a fantastic way to calm your nerves. Get to know the London transport system a little, look into how you might travel to college and learn about your new area online.
A lot of the hard graft of being mentally prepared comes down to feeling ready, but also being kind to yourself, RELAX❣️ everything is going to be okay. Don't worry, it's going to be a new experience for everyone and that you are not alone. Going to uni is the perfect opportunity for a fresh start and you'll be amazing 😌
Written by Kirsty, Senior Rep from the Social Programme
- Read Next
- Tips and tricks for a great zoom class Festive celebrations around the world Top tips on spending the festive period in halls Staying in London for Christmas? Positive affirmations and self-empowerment with Bami | UAL Social Festive Creative Writing Session | UAL Social New Years Eve Activities | UAL Social Christmas Day Activities | UAL Social Festive Life Drawing | UAL Social Festive Soap Making Session | UALSocial
- Our handy halls checklist Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Order all your essential items for halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE Recipe: Potato & Leek Soup