The student version of a traditional English Breakfast
Trying something new in a new country is a great way to soak up the culture.
In the UK nothing beats a fried breakfast. It is on almost every restaurant menu but you don’t need to be out of pocket to try this.
Sourcing your ingredients from the supermarket is easy and there are always a variety of cheap options available.
A 'Full English Breakfast' generally consists of sausages, bacon, eggs (fried), baked beans, slices of toast, a plum tomato (halved and fried of one side), portobello mushrooms, hash browns and if you like it - black pudding (I won’t tell you what it’s made of).
There are of course hundreds of variations of this meal and it often depends on where people are from in the UK, as certain parts have their own interpretations of the classic breakfast.
This is a great breakfast for the weekends, brunch or even supper if you fancy it that much. If you fancy trying it out, check out my suggestions...
My practical student recommendation on this dish however would be...
- Bacon Rashers - Place these in the frying pan and add a tiny dash of oil in there before you do.
- Hash Browns - You can find these on pretty much any frozen aisle; and they won’t cost you much. (Cook as per instructions on individual pack).
- Tinned Baked Beans - good for the heart. These are cheap and filling, and cook in no time at all.
- Eggs - How do you like your eggs? Traditionally it should be fried, but this area is open to personal preference: some like it scrambled, some like it poached, this one’s up to you!
Pick what ingredients you prefer but it’s not necessary to have all of the list above. However I would advise to make sure you choose at least 4 of the possible options.
Serve up with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a cup of tea and you’re dining like a true Brit. Enjoy!
- Read Next
- UAL Indian Society and Halls Life present.. RANGELA! Your March events at Cordwainers Court! LGBTQ+ History Month: Queer Illuminations Free food trucks for you! West End Theatre Trip to Standing at the Sky's Edge Your March events at The Costume Store! Your March events at Archwood house! Your March events at Gardens House & Portland House! Your March events at Sketch House! Your March events at Highline Building!
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 How to apply for discounted student travel Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China Opening a student bank account in the UK Make sure to register at your GP Fire Safety in Halls Student tours of UAL halls