Cookie Consent by
a person sitting on a couch writing on an iPad


Sexual violence – advice and support for students

By UALHalls 18 Jan 2022

UAL are committed to promoting a positive consent culture and raising awareness of support both within and outside the University.  

No one ever deserves to experience any form of sexual violence or harassment and it is never the survivor’s fault. 

If you have experienced sexual violence, including rape, sexual assault or harassment, we recognise it can be difficult to speak about what happened and how it has affected you, but we would encourage you to talk to someone and seek support if you feel able to. 

Please remember: 

  • What happens next is your choice. 
  • You can access support and information by contacting ‘Tell Someone’ or through the UAL Counselling Service. We will listen to you and support you to make decisions that are right for you. 
  • You can choose to report directly to the police and/or to the University. 
  • You can access independent support from Rape Crisis, Survivors UK, Havens Centres and a range of other external services. 

Below we’ve put together a list of contact information for different support centres and organisations, alongside UAL’s own services. 

Support at UAL 

UAL has a Head of Counselling and Student Health who, among other things, co-ordinates support for students who have experienced sexual violence. You can meet with her, or a member of her team to talk about what has happened, and what support you might need. Examples of support include: 

  • Emotional and psychological support 
  • Support with accessing specialist agencies or attending a Havens Centre 
  • Practical support, for example, if you want to move accommodation 
  • Adjustments to study or extenuating circumstances 
  • Support to help you feel safe, for example, if you are worried about coming into contact with the perpetrator 
  • Support with considering your options and what to do next, including reporting to the police or requesting a university investigation 
  • If you have already reported the incident to the police, the Head of Counselling and Student Health can advise on the next steps in regard to the University’s procedures. 
  • You can contact them by calling  +44(0) 20 7514 6251 or email

Students' Union Advice Service

The Students' Union Advice Service offers free, confidential, impartial advice to all UAL students. Advisers can support you with questions relating to extenuating circumstances, student complaints and a range of other issues.

You can contact them by emailing or visiting the SU Advice Service webpage for more information.

External support services 

There are a range of organisations which provide independent, confidential advice and support for people who have experienced sexual violence. You can access these services via the contact details below.

  • Rape Crisis National Helpline: A helpline for survivors of rape and sexual abuse, open every day 24/7. Call: 0808 500 2222. 
  • Rape Crisis :Rape Crisis provides information on how to get help if you've experienced rape, child sexual abuse and/or any kind of sexual violence, and details of your nearest Rape Crisis services. 
  • The Havens Centres: The Havens are specialist centres in London for people who have been raped or sexually assaulted. For urgent advice or appointments call 020 3299 6900. 
  • Survivors UK: Support for male survivors of rape and sexual abuse. 
  • Galop: Support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic violence. 
  • National Domestic Violence Helpline: Women can call 0808 2000 247, the free 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline. Men can call the Men's Advice Line free on 0808 801 0327 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm).
  • Southall Black Sisters: Provides information, advice, advocacy, practical help, counselling and support to women and children experiencing domestic and sexual violence, including forced marriage and so called ‘honour crimes’. Tel: +44(0)20 8571 0800. 
  • Samaritans: A telephone, email and visitor service for anyone experiencing emotional distress. Tel: 116 123 (24-hour confidential listening service - call them for an immediate response) or email (emails will be replied to within 24 hours). 
  • Nightline: If you find yourself worrying about things at night and you would like to talk to another student confidentially. This is available every night of term 6pm - 8am. Call: +44(0)20 763 0101

NHS Sexual assault referral centres 

Sexual assault referral centres (SARCs) offer medical, practical and emotional support. They have specially trained doctors, nurses and support workers to care for you. If you decide to report the assault to the police, they can arrange for you to attend a SARC for medical care and, if you wish, a forensic medical examination. If you have not reported the assault to the police, you can still refer yourself to a SARC for assessment and medical treatment to prevent some STIs and pregnancy. 

  • If you refer yourself to a SARC and are considering reporting the assault to the police, the centre can arrange for you to have an informal talk with a specially trained police officer, who can explain what is involved. 
  • There are also specially trained advisers available in some SARCs or voluntary organisations to help people who have been sexually assaulted. These independent sexual violence advisers (ISVA) can help victims get access to the other support services they need. 
  • They will also support you through the criminal justice system if you decide to report the assault to the police, including supporting you through the trial, should the case go to court. 
  • SARC services and ISVA support are free to all, whether a resident of the UK or not. 
  • Find your nearest referral centre by visiting this link

Halls teams 

All our halls are staffed 24/7 and have either a Residence Manager or Accommodation Managers who manage the team in each hall.  

  • You can visit reception to contact your Residence Manager or Accommodation Manager or call the site phone which is monitored 24/7 if you want to talk to a hall manager. You can find the contact information by looking at your hall welcome guide.  
  • Our Out of Hours team also work throughout the night and over the weekend period at our halls. They can be contacted by your hall’s team should you need a chat, advice or help during the night or at the weekend.