Rooted risotto & sea salad
Suitable for vegan and vegetarian diets.
This recipe was created by one of our talented students, Akriti Goel at London College of Communication, in a collaborative workshop with UAL Climate Emergency Network and UAL Regenesis. Looking for food for the soul? This creamy risotto recipe is for you.
Ecosystem story 🌱
The mushrooms help make nutrients available for these root vegetables and other plants in the soil through their incredible ability to cycle and break down nutrients. They also biosynthesize residues from crops for their own food, thus maintaining a healthy balance in the soil.
The rooted risotto is made with a number of root vegetables which help the earth hold the soil together and form an integral part of the ecosystem.
Coming to seaweed, it is readily available and can be grown in multiple regions around the world. It is one of the few foods with a negative carbon footprint and thus it is very sustainable for the planet going forward.
All in all- both mushrooms and seaweed act as land and water cleansers respectively. Cleaning them of toxins and providing a healthier ecosystem for other species around them.
- Wild mushrooms
- Green chillies
- Arborio rice
- Oat milk
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Sea salt
- Sesame oil
- Cut the mushrooms, onions, garlic and green chillies. Grate a little bit of raw ginger.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Cook on a low flame until caramelised.
- Add the chopped garlic and green chillies.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add small amounts of oat milk as the flavour of the caramelised onions is absorbed and it starts to thicken.
- Add the arborio rice and vegetable stock. Stir until cooked through and creamy.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika and oregano to taste.
- Use a peeler to cut thin strips of cucumber and carrot.
- Cut the seaweed into thin strips.
- Mix them together, sprinkle some sesame seeds, sesame oil, sea salt and squeeze half a lemon.
Find more delicious recipes at @ualcatering
- Read Next
- UAL Indian Society and Halls Life present.. RANGELA! Your March events at Cordwainers Court! LGBTQ+ History Month: Queer Illuminations Free food trucks for you! West End Theatre Trip to Standing at the Sky's Edge Your March events at The Costume Store! Your March events at Archwood house! Your March events at Gardens House & Portland House! Your March events at Sketch House! Your March events at Highline Building!
- How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK The ultimate guide to your new home YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 How to apply for discounted student travel Get in contact with your hall 8 things different about life in the UK vs China Opening a student bank account in the UK Make sure to register at your GP Fire Safety in Halls Student tours of UAL halls