Living with so many others in halls can be tricky but flat mates are all often best friends. There’s no secret to getting on with your flat, but here are a few common sense do’s and don’ts to help you get on from experience:
- Don’t burst into the flat at 4am trip over the hoover, walk into a door, smash some plates and cry down the phone. Someone probably has to be up early for lectures.
- Do be generous and lend your flat mates a spare charger or cake tin, they’ll return the favour later on.
- Don’t be shy about talking to your housemates about any problems before they get worse.
- Do make sure you keep your communal space tidy when you have created any mess.
- Do invite your flat mates to join for dinner every now and then – there’s nothing that cures homesickness better than a ‘pseudo-family’ meal.
- Don’t leave your laundry in the dryer once it’s finished – Set a timer so you know when it’s done.
- Do remember their birthdays!
- Don’t forget your key.
- Don't complain publicly on social media; Facebook, Twitter, etc, it will only make situations worse if anyone finds it.
- Do give your time to help them out with something – you’re probably all on different courses and you might be able to help them with graphic design and they might be able to help you with photography.
- Don’t continuously write notes and reminders, some of your flat mates could perceive it as quite passive aggressive. They only make problems worse. If you must write one at least leave your name so they don’t accuse someone else. It’s always best to just talk it out anyway!
Finally – don’t worry. It is never as dramatic as you may imagine before you arrive to halls, but these are just some simple tips that just may come into at some point during your time in halls.
But do make sure you have an amazing time, we are sure you will!
- Read Next
- An Evening with Arts SU | UAL Social Digital Intimacies and online dating | Wellbeing Wednesday Wellbeing Wednesday: Anatomy and sexual pleasure Wellbeing Wednesday: Drug Awareness | UAL Social 15% off at hotel rooms near The Costume Store Rocky's Animal Farm | UAL Social Routemaster Bus Tour How to be a WELL BEING | Wellbeing Wednesdays Wellbeing Wednesday: The Art of Being Brilliant | UAL Social Vaccination centres near halls
- Our handy halls checklist Check in checklist IKEA Shopping Coach Trips Pride at UAL Harry Potter Warner Bros Studio Tour Tate to Tate Galleries Boat Trip Escorted Tour to Freshers' Fair Find out about our Airport Collection Service Wicked Theatre Trip | UAL Social Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls