How to work safely in halls
By now, you should have received guidelines from UAL on how to safely study, create artwork and complete coursework from home.
As you are staying in halls, we wanted to give you further advice on what is and isn’t allowed in the building, as well as the best ways for you to keep safe whilst working.
It’s really important that you read this advice through to the end. If after reading you still have any questions or concerns, please contact your Halls team who as always will be more than happy to assist and make sure you are working safely.
Why are the rules different in halls?
Activities in all of our halls are bound by certain restrictions and rules. As we lease our halls from different landlords, we have to make sure that we adhere to lease agreements, contents insurance, tenancy agreements and health and safety regulations.
What can I do in halls?
Low risk project work is allowed in bedrooms and some common areas. This includes:
- Pattern cutting
Sewing machines are allowed in rooms and in some common areas if the machine is provided, used and managed by yourself.
To make sure that you are fully comfortable and adjusted whilst working, make sure you check out our handy Halls Life article, Tips for setting up your workstation.
What can’t I do in halls?
We cannot allow any high-risk work to take place in halls. This includes use of:
- Paints, spray paints and adhesives
- Flammable liquids or gasses
- Powered hand tools
- Works ordinarily undertaken with supervision in a studio
Some halls have work zones or common rooms designed to allow you to undertake low and medium risk works. Remember, you’ll still need to practice social distancing. Some of our common rooms have restricted access to help stop the spread of infection.
For more information about work zones, please contact your Halls team directly, who will be more than happy to help you.
Remember, if you’re in doubt about whether your work is permitted, you must contact your Halls' team first.
- Read Next
- My tips on graduating in a pandemic How to reduce your screen time 5 ways to celebrate Lunar New Year in lockdown 4 ways to practice self-love this Valentine's Day Oven baked nachos with house guacamole under 10 minutes Moroccan spiced carrot hummus My favourite zero-waste beauty ideas 3 reasons why you should get out on a walk today How to join UAL sports & societies during lockdown Tips and tricks for a great zoom class
- Our handy halls checklist Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Order all your essential items for halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE Recipe: Potato & Leek Soup