How to cook the perfect pasta & rice
Pasta and rice are staple ingredients, but let's face it and be honest, it is sometimes difficult to get it exactly right....
Here are some tips that will help you cook delicious pasta:
- Put your dry pasta in a serving bowl so you can estimate the serving size. Remember: it will expand as it cooks!
- Boil water in a pan (enough to cover the pasta) and add salt to bring out the flavour and speed up the cooking time.
- Pasta usually takes around 10-15 minutes. To test if it’s ready, take a piece out with a fork and take a bite. If there's a white ring in it, the pasta isn't cooked.
- Drain the pasta over the sink with a colander. If you want to add any other ingredients, put the pasta back in the pan (without water) and add sauce/other ingredients.
- The longer you cook the pasta for, the softer it will be. If you like your pasta Al Dente, cook for around 10 minutes. Cooking time will also depend on the type of pasta! E.g: spaghetti will require a shorter cooking period.
How to cook basmati rice:
- Rice can roughly be measured by half an average teacup per person, so a full mug should make enough for two.
- Put the rice in a bowl and rinse with cold water. This will get rid of the starch, making it less sticky and easier to cook.
- Put the rice in a pan and cover with a fingertips depth of water above it.
- Bring to the boil then cover with a pan lid and leave to simmer.
- There is no need to stir it! After about 10 minutes, all of the water should have evaporated to leave fluffy rice.
- Read Next
- Kew Gardens Trip Oxford Day Trip Brick Lane curry night The London Dungeon Trip Hall-o-ween Celebration Rocky Horror Screening Pumpkin Carving A talk with Bami Kuteyi: Fearless Founder | Black History Month Exhibition at Zari Gallery | Black History Month Laugh out Proud | Comedy Night
- Our handy halls checklist Check in checklist Find out about our Airport Collection Service Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE Top 5 reasons to live in South London Recipe: Potato & Leek Soup