How to cook the perfect pasta & rice
Pasta and rice are staple ingredients, but let's face it and be honest, it is sometimes difficult to get it exactly right....
Here are some tips that will help you cook delicious pasta:
- Put your dry pasta in a serving bowl so you can estimate the serving size. Remember: it will expand as it cooks!
- Boil water in a pan (enough to cover the pasta) and add salt to bring out the flavour and speed up the cooking time.
- Pasta usually takes around 10-15 minutes. To test if it’s ready, take a piece out with a fork and take a bite. If there's a white ring in it, the pasta isn't cooked.
- Drain the pasta over the sink with a colander. If you want to add any other ingredients, put the pasta back in the pan (without water) and add sauce/other ingredients.
- The longer you cook the pasta for, the softer it will be. If you like your pasta Al Dente, cook for around 10 minutes. Cooking time will also depend on the type of pasta! E.g: spaghetti will require a shorter cooking period.
How to cook basmati rice:
- Rice can roughly be measured by half an average teacup per person, so a full mug should make enough for two.
- Put the rice in a bowl and rinse with cold water. This will get rid of the starch, making it less sticky and easier to cook.
- Put the rice in a pan and cover with a fingertips depth of water above it.
- Bring to the boil then cover with a pan lid and leave to simmer.
- There is no need to stir it! After about 10 minutes, all of the water should have evaporated to leave fluffy rice.
- Read Next
- Why we loved being Hall Reps Returning to halls? Apply to be a Hall Rep! Your journey from Archwood House to college Student tours of UAL halls Five student-friendly lunch box ideas How I made my best friends in halls Student Spotlight: life as a pageant girl My 6 top tips for living in halls Inventory and charges.... if these walls could talk LGBTQ+ artists and writers that you should check out
- How to apply to halls How to get a National Insurance Number in the UK Student tours of UAL halls How to accept your Accommodation 'offer' Deposits and advance rent payments YOUR WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO - 2018 Our handy halls checklist 8 things different about life in the UK vs China 6 hall recommendations for returning students Cabaret at the Kit Kat Club