Health and Safety
A campaign protecting students across the country against a dangerous strain of meningitis, MenW is urging new students to get vaccinated after a rapid growth in the infection.
If you are coming to university in September then we encourage you to contact your GP and make an appointment to get vaccinated. Coming to university means you will be coming in contact with lots of new people so it’s important to get the vaccination before leaving for university.
For more information about the vaccine visit the NHS website.
Meningitis – know the facts
- Meningitis is an infection of the meninges - the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord
- Meningococcal bacteria are common and carried harmlessly in the nose or throat by about one in 10 people
- They are passed on through close contact
- Fever, cold hands and feet
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Drowsiness, difficult to wake up
- Irritability and/or confusion
- Dislike of bright lights
- Severe headache or muscle pains
- Pale, blotchy skin with or without a rash
- Stiff neck.
GPs across the UK are inviting 17 and 18-year-olds to come for a vaccine and first-time students under 25 are eligible too so make an appointment and get protected!
For more information about MenW click here.
- Read Next
- 5 easy and delicous festive snacks Little acts of kindness that will create a good vibe in your flat Here's 5 ideas to decorate your halls bedroom Kiera's tips for beating the seasonal blues Cook your very own Festive feast 10 top tips for staying on top of your uni work Top tips for a successful flat mate festive dinner Spicy peanut butter noodles in 15 minutes 6 top tips to help you study smarter not harder 5 of the most Instagrammable vegetarian breakfasts
- Our handy halls checklist Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Order all your essential items for halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE Recipe: Potato & Leek Soup