8 outdoor activities you can do socially distanced
Spending the first term socially distancing probably wasn't how you envisioned spending the winter months, right?
Never fear! Here is a list of ideas for things that you can do outdoors in London whilst respecting the restrictions and still having an awesome time. Whether it’s a crisp walk or a classic Christmas market, we’ve got you covered.
1. Outdoor Winter Night Garden Cinema
Who else is missing the cinema hard in these times? I definitely am.
This outdoor garden-themed cinema in Wandsworth is still running and showing movies all your favourite holiday classic. Book your tickets now.
2. Columbia Road Flower Market
No matter what the weather, you can pick up a range of houseplants, flowers and succulents every Sunday between 8am and 4pm at Columbia Road Flower Market.
Think Christmas shopping, but outdoors…and everyone is getting plants. There is also a fab range of coffee shops and independents in the area, so you can grab a pumpkin spice latte to sip whilst you browse!
3. Pelican feeding and winter walks in St Jame's Park
Located in central London, St Jame's Park covers almost 57 acres of land and is even home to pelicans!
Feeding time occurs daily between 2:30-3pm and is free to attend! St James park also has a cafe with outdoor seating where you can enjoy panoramic views of the park whilst you take a break from your winter walk.
4. Ice skating
Who could forget about ice skating? It’s a winter classic! Check out the best outdoor rinks in London, so you can find the one closest to you and strap your skates on!
5. Alternative London street art walking tour
This Alternative London tour of East London skips out on the overcrowded landmarks and takes you down the enticing back streets. You'll walk around Shoreditch where you can soak up the street art, history and culture of the area in a safe socially distanced way!
6. Hyde Park
Do you really live in London if you haven’t been to its famous Hyde Park at least once? Even though this year’s ‘Winter Wonderland’ event has been cancelled, it's still a brilliant place to escape the noise of the city and enjoy watching the leaves change colour.
7. Little Venice
I can’t think of anything more charming to do than wandering down the small area of canals near Paddington known as ‘Little Venice’. You can enjoy a takeaway coffee, a stroll along the Thames and watch the colourful boats on the canal. You can even walk all the way to Kings Cross and Camden Town!
8. Explore your local markets
Nothing screams Christmas more than hunting for the perfect gift. This year, it's important than ever that we support our local businesses and market traders.
Not sure where to start? Emily has written a fantastic guide to places you can pick up some gorgeous gifts in your local area. In the guide, she covers some of the best outdoor markets to explore in London.
9. Go for a winter swim
While most of London's lidos are packed over the summer months, you'll find that at this time of year most of London has forgotten about outdoor swimming.
It may take some courage to take the plunge but once you're in you'll love it. New to winter swimming? Try a heated lido first and make sure you bring lot's of layers for when you get out.
I hope some of these ideas give you some inspiration for some things to do outside over the Christmas break. Whether you want to cram in as many activities as possible or simply sit in front of the TV, I hope you have a wonderful holiday.
- Read Next
- My top tips for staying motivated with University work 6 top tips on being in COVID isolation How living in halls with friends gave me more independence Meet the UAL Accommodation Services team COVID-19 - What did we introduce? My tips on graduating in a pandemic How to reduce your screen time Oven baked nachos with house guacamole under 10 minutes Moroccan spiced carrot hummus My favourite zero-waste beauty ideas
- Our handy halls checklist Thinking of returning to halls next year? Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Why I returned and lived in halls for 3 years Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE