6 hall recommendations for returning students
If you are a current UAL student, you will be able to apply for halls from May 2021.
You do not need to have previously lived in halls.
What to think about when applying
In our application portal, you will be asked to choose FIVE different halls*. Some of our halls tend to fill up very quickly, which means you have a higher chance of receiving an offer from us if you chose the halls with more availability when selecting your five choices.
Need help deciding?
To help you decide, we've put together our recommendations for returning students! Take a look below to discover which of our halls will be best suited to your needs.
1) The Costume Store
The Costume Store is one of our newest halls, based in the heart of West London. It is next to a tube station and is only 15 minutes away from central London. It is close to a lot of awesome places including Westfield's London.
iGym, Dominos, Papa Johns, Tesco, Costa Coffee, Sainsbury's, and Subway are all on your doorstep. It also has a newly refurbished reception area/working hub, which is really popular with our residents!
Why UAL students love The Costume Store:
"Being only a few steps away from my friends makes living in halls fun and hanging out with each other so much easier." - Emily
"The reception staff are really friendly and welcoming!" - Will
"It's great because the tube is next door and open 24 hours on the weekend" - Sara
2) Chapter Lewisham
We're pleased to welcome Chapter Lewisham to our portfolio in September 2020. The hall is located in Lewisham, South London, and is close to Greenwich and London Bridge. The hall has many special facilities for students including a private gym, study area, TV & games room, and outdoor terrace. It's also nearby transport links to Camberwell College of Arts and London College of Communication.
Why UAL students love Chapter Lewisham:
"The tube and train are really close by so you can travel to London Bridge and the city really easily!" - Jamal
"I love the yoga classes, it's great having a gym literally where I live." - Chan
3) Emily Bowes Court
Emily Bowes Court has a great outdoor space, with large-scale games, outdoor gardening space, a large communal television room, and study areas.
The hall is next door to a gym and is a 2-minute walk from Tottenham Hale Underground and rail stations, which provide easy access to central London.
Why UAL students love Emily Bowes Court:
"One of the things I love about this hall is the links to transport. Also, there's a Tesco and a gym nearby" Sabina
"I like that's it's close to the wetlands and the canal, so you can relax and escape the business of the city. it's a great place to go with friends in the summer" - Kristian
4) Wigram House
Wigram House is a late Victorian mansion block, with beautiful high spec facilities inside and the rooms are all really well equipped. The hall is in an amazing central London location, so you'll be close to your neighbours with some of the most world-famous sites. Westminster Abbey, Saint James's Park, The Houses of Parliament, the London Eye and the River Thames are all just a few minutes walk away.
Why students love Wigram House:
"Wigram is an amazing house that has a great sense of community. I feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful and lovely dorm with so many amazing and different people" - Sierra
"Wigram House is designed to cultivate such a warm community. The kitchens have become a place of gathering and togetherness, while the common rooms are beautiful spaces for hosting events.” - Blue
5) Furzedown Student Village and Cedars Hall
Furzedown and Cedars both have lovely spacious common rooms, where lots of events, parties, afternoon teas, and free yoga sessions take place. There is a free shuttle bus that runs from the campus to Tooting Broadway tube station every 20 minutes from 7:30am to 9:30am in the mornings, then 4:30pm to 8pm in the afternoons. The hall also has a gym.
Why UAL students love Furzedown and Cedars:
"The best part about living in halls for me was learning to be independent. For the first time, I was in control of every aspect of my life and the hall provides students a safe outlet to learn these skills." - Ash
"I love the on-site gym and the sense of community with all the students here." - Ebony
6) Brooke Hall
The hall is located in a residential area but is close to plenty of local shops, cafes, and bars, and has easy access to central London by bus or train.All rooms at Brooke Hall are studios, making it the perfect place for students who prefer an independent lifestyle.
Why UAL students love Brooke Hall:
"It's a friendly place to live and is close to central London" - Hannah
"Camberwell Green is a really multicultural area. There are lots of places for you to do your shopping too." - Adithy
What to do next
- Want to discover all the benefits of living in halls? Read our article "Thinking of returning to halls?". This will take you through all the positives and also goes into detail about what a returning student is.
- Want to hear real-life experiences? This student returned to halls for THREE YEARS! Find out more in our article "Why I returned and lived in halls for 3 years"
*We can not guarantee that students will be offered one of their five choices.
- Read Next
- Emily Bowes Court: student room and kitchen tour Cedars Hall: student room and kitchen tour Chapter Lewisham: student room and kitchen tour The Costume Store: student room and kitchen tour Student room and kitchen tours Re-watch our halls open day webinars Reasons why my second language made me a great Halls Rep A week in the life of a Halls Rep Looking for a job that's literally on your doorstep? My top tips for staying motivated with university work
- Our handy halls checklist Thinking of returning to halls next year? Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Why I returned and lived in halls for 3 years Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE