5 benefits of stepping out of your comfort zone
For most of you starting university for the first time is probably the most daunting thing you have ever done and your comfort zone may feel a world away right now.
Here are my 5 reasons why stepping out of this zone could be the best thing you do both mentally and physically.
1. It can be a physical stress buster and can create a state of relief
We can all recall that feeling, butterflies in our stomach before we do something new and exciting. This particular type of stress on our bodies that we endure through choice, e.g. before a first date, that can sharpen focus and encourage growth.
2. It increases creativity
It’s no surprise that getting yourself stuck in a rut can affect how you creatively express yourself. Putting yourself in new situations can spark new and innovative ideas, especially artistically.
3. There are social benefits
Trying new things such as new activities can bring you into contact with people from all walks of life, some of whom could become close friends. So why not join that society you were thinking of?
4. It helps confront the fear of failure
One of the main worries that hold us back from putting ourselves in new situations is fear that we will either ‘fail’. Getting over that first interaction with new people will make the following interactions seem less daunting. We will all face failure at some point in our lives so learning to confront the fear of this is beneficial, rather than letting it restrict and restrain you.
5. Finally, it helps you gain perspective.
Stepping out of this zone can be a good distraction from day to day stresses. Focusing the mind and body on something completely fresh can make you temporarily forget about things like deadlines and remind you that there is a life outside of studying that can be equally as enriching and exciting.
- Read Next
- Book your arrival slot for halls! Self-isolation after travel (summer 2021) 6 places I need to visit this summer! Become a Halls Rep Q&A Emily Bowes Court: student room and kitchen tour Cedars Hall: student room and kitchen tour Chapter Lewisham: student room and kitchen tour The Costume Store: student room and kitchen tour Student room and kitchen tours Re-watch our halls open day webinars
- How to accept your Accommodation 'offer' Our handy halls checklist Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Order all your essential items for halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE