12 genius clothing hacks you need to know now
Instead of throwing your clothes away at the first sign of wear and tear, try these out first!
Ever heard the saying "there's nothing broken that can't be fixed?"
- No time to try on?: Check if a pair of jeans fits by wrapping the waistline around your neck. If it meets without overlap, congratulations you have a pair of fitting jeans!
- For those impossible oil stains: Apply talcum powder to the areas and leave overnight, then brush off with a clean, old toothbrush.
- In the words of Levi Strauss, "stop washing your jeans": Put them in the freezer overnight once a month to kill bad bacteria and eliminate odours. Just remember to take them off first (If you have to wash them turn inside out first to retain colour and shape)...
- Crease control: If you don't have time to iron, or just don't have one (we aren't judging we swear), try one of these! We recommend the shower and towel methods.
- Let's straighten something out: Use hair straighteners to iron your collars out and stay looking sharp.
- Blistering new shoes?: Stretch them slightly by placing a bag of water in each and leaving them in the freezer overnight for lovely, comfy shoes...
- Fixing a stuck zipper: This one's a nightmare if it happens while you're out and can't get your trousers or skirt to hold. Simply grease up the zip with soap, vaseline or lip gloss and you're good to go.
- Keep your fly high: Use an elastic band, or buy an actual Zip Holder.
- Makeup marks: Use shaving cream to remove foundation marks from your collars (remember to rinse after). Perfect for after those nights where you struggled to choose an outfit.
- Hairspray away: Use hairspray to get rid of those lipstick stains on your shirts. Let settle for a few minutes before putting in the wash, and remember to keep it on the cheek next time...
- The wrong type of gym gains: If your trainers are a bit worse for wear after some intense gymming, sprinkle baking soda into them and leave overnight.
- Sharpen up your shades: If the arms on your sunglasses are loose and you don't have a screwdriver to hand, dab nail polish on the hinge to tighten it for the meantime.
- Read Next
- Book your arrival slot for halls! Self-isolation after travel (summer 2021) 6 places I need to visit this summer! Become a Halls Rep Q&A Emily Bowes Court: student room and kitchen tour Cedars Hall: student room and kitchen tour Chapter Lewisham: student room and kitchen tour The Costume Store: student room and kitchen tour Student room and kitchen tours Re-watch our halls open day webinars
- How to accept your Accommodation 'offer' Our handy halls checklist Find out about our Airport Collection Service Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Order all your essential items for halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE