World Environment Day has become known as the ‘people’s day’ where participation is key.
World Environment Day is celebrated in over 70 countries and this year UAL is getting involved too.
This year’s theme:
This year’s theme is connecting people to nature. By encouraging people to get outdoors, into nature and appreciating its beauty and importance (also known as deep ecology) it provides context for the interventions UAL makes in pursuit of excellent environmental stewardship.
How to get involved:
UAL is collaborating with Argent, the development partner for the King’s Cross area, to combine for a series of activities on the Monday 5 June 2017.
- Take a tour of the beautiful roof garden on top of Two Pancras Square and experience how an unused, dull space can be turned into something beautiful and wildlife friendly.
- Join the London Wildlife Trust who will be giving guided tours of Camley Street Natural Park. The park, on the banks of Regent’s Canal, is a hidden urban oasis providing a home for butterflies, birds, bats and is also a perfect spot for a respite from the bustle of London.
How UAL is contributing:
To encourage staff and students to attend these events we are encouraging those that are able (and have sought permission from their line management) to walk from their place of work to Kings Cross.
The Deep Time Walk app:
The app is a 4.6km interactive audio experience telling a big history of the Earth. This takes you from 4,600,000,000 years ago (4,600 Million Years Ago) to the present day, with each metre walked representing 1 million years. This app will connect you to the world around as you as you journey through time, learning how the Earth, nature and humanity we know today came into being.
The script used in the walking audiobook is written by Dr Stephan Harding (Schumacher College) and Peter Oswald (an ex-playwright in residence at Shakespeare Globe, London). The Schumacher College is a charity, and like UAL, it is dedicated to transformative education and encourages students to participate in the wider community of their College.
How to sign up:
- Find out more about events based at Pancras Square and sign up to take a tour of the 2 Pancras Square roof garden.
- To register for the Deep Time Walk app, please fill in this form before the deadline of Monday 29 May 2017.
- If you’re based at King’s Cross and would like to use the Deep Time Walk app we have put together a suggested walk along Regent’s Canal, walking to Regent’s Park and back to King’s Cross.
Note: Please note the app lasts for around an hour and requires Android 4.0.3 or higher and iOS 8.0 or higher.
For more information, contact:
- Rebecca Smart - Energy and Environmental Data Officer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org