What's your english breakfast?
Trying something new in a new country is a great way to soak up the culture.
In the UK nothing beats a fried breakfast. It is on almost every restaurant menu but you don’t need to be out of pocket to try this.
Sourcing your ingredients from the supermarket is easy and there are always a variety of cheap options available.
A 'Full English Breakfast' generally consists of sausages, bacon, eggs (fried), baked beans, slices of toast, a plum tomato (halved and fried of one side), portobello mushrooms, hash browns and if you like it - black pudding (I won’t tell you what it’s made of).
There are of course hundreds of variations of this meal and it often depends on where people are from in the UK, as certain parts have their own interpretations of the classic breakfast.
This is a great breakfast for the weekends, brunch or even supper if you fancy it that much. If you fancy trying it out, check out my suggestions...
My practical student recommendation on this dish however would be...
- Bacon Rashers - Place these in the frying pan and add a tiny dash of oil in there before you do.
- Hash Browns - You can find these on pretty much any frozen aisle; and they won’t cost you much. (Cook as per instructions on individual pack).
- Tinned Baked Beans - good for the heart. These are cheap and filling, and cook in no time at all.
- Eggs - How do you like your eggs? Traditionally it should be fried, but this area is open to personal preference: some like it scrambled, some like it poached, this one’s up to you!
Pick what ingredients you prefer but it’s not necessary to have all of the list above. However I would advise to make sure you choose at least 4 of the possible options.
Serve up with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a cup of tea and you’re dining like a true Brit. Enjoy!
- Read Next
- Spending lockdown in halls Benefits of having a job at uni 5 Reasons I became a UAL Halls Rep Find a job with Arts Temps Welcome to Furzedown Student Village & Cedars Hall Welcome to The Costume Store Welcome to Portland House Welcome to Brooke Hall Welcome to Highline Building Welcome to Sketch House
- How to accept your Accommodation 'offer' Legs, Bums and Tums with Bam Bam | UAL Social Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE 8 ways to hack the halls applications Recipe: Potato & Leek Soup Vegan stir-fry noodles with tofu and vegetables Finding support that works for you