Vegan rösti potatoes
Rösti potatoes are perfect if you're looking to cook and stay on a budget. They are delicious, easy and a great source of protein. Make a big batch and then freeze for simple evening meals.
- 500g/16oz potatoes, peeled and grated
- 200g/7oz firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled into small pieces
- Handful of fresh spinach or rocket, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp gram (chickpea) flour, mixed with 3 tbsp warm water in a small bowl
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Pat dry the tofu, before crumbling it into a mixing bowl with the grated potato.
- Add the spinach or rocket, gram flour mixture, cumin, plain flour, salt and pepper and stir the ingredients.
- Shape the mixture into 6 round rosti, be firm with it but try not to over handle. If it is too wet to hold its shape, add a little more flour.
- Add a little oil to a large, non-stick frying pan and fry on a medium heat, turning half way through, until golden. Press down the rosti and encourage them to keep their shape using a fish slice.
- Serve with a small side salad or leaves and tomatoes and a tablespoon of hummus (optional).
Follow us @ualcatering
- Read Next
- What's it really like for mixed-race Brits? Relax with Julie and Alix every Wednesday Twerkshop with Bam Bam | UAL Social ArtsSU Companion Scheme 5 things I learnt working with the Social Programme Keeping you safe in halls Have your questions answered at our webinars UAL: Our community during lockdown Spending lockdown in halls Benefits of having a job at uni
- How to accept your Accommodation 'offer' Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE 8 ways to hack the halls applications Recipe: Potato & Leek Soup What's it really like for mixed-race Brits? Vegan stir-fry noodles with tofu and vegetables Finding support that works for you