"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
To celebrate Green Week 2018, UAL is launching the ‘Useful or Beautiful’ challenge to encourage a creative response to the challenge of recycling and reducing waste.
- It’s simple: salvage discarded materials from across UAL’s buildings and repurpose them into something useful, beautiful or both.
- This is a cross-College challenge and it is your chance to have your work judged by an expert antique restorer, dealer, salvage hunter TV personality - Drew Pritchard
How the Useful or Beautiful works:
- The design challenge will take place for one day during Green Week (12 – 16 February 2018). Agree a time during Green Week ’18 to salvage discarded materials from accessible waste bins in your College and create your piece.
- Work in a team from your College, there is no team size limit but we recommend a minimum of 5 people.
- Materials used must be waste materials found across the university (it is acceptable to use new fixtures such as nails to create the final piece but it should use 90% waste material).
- Each team will submit their entry in the form of a photo(s) using this form (click next!)
- The entries will be passed electronically to members of UAL’s Operating Board on Monday 19th February 2018 where they will be able to rank each entry in order of preference.
Guest Judge | Salvage Hunter, Drew Pritchard
- He has been dealing in architectural salvage and antiques for 29 years working initially as a stained glass restorer and designer.
- With a focus on the aesthetic, Drew effortlessly mixes styles and eras creating his on-going collection which is showcased on his website. Drew has a passion for the arts and crafts movement, the work of William Morris and upcycling
- Additionally, Drew Pritchard is a presenter on a TV show ‘Salvage Hunters’.