Living with so many others in halls can be tricky but flat mates are all often best friends. There’s no secret to getting on with your flat, but here are a few common sense do’s and don’ts to help you get on from experience:
- Don’t burst into the flat at 4am trip over the hoover, walk into a door, smash some plates and cry down the phone. Someone probably has to be up early for lectures.
- Do be generous and lend your flat mates a spare charger or cake tin, they’ll return the favour later on.
- Don’t be shy about talking to your housemates about any problems before they get worse.
- Do make sure you keep your communal space tidy when you have created any mess.
- Do invite your flat mates to join for dinner every now and then – there’s nothing that cures homesickness better than a ‘pseudo-family’ meal.
- Don’t leave your laundry in the dryer once it’s finished – Set a timer so you know when it’s done.
- Do remember their birthdays!
- Don’t forget your key.
- Don't complain publicly on social media; Facebook, Twitter, etc, it will only make situations worse if anyone finds it.
- Do give your time to help them out with something – you’re probably all on different courses and you might be able to help them with graphic design and they might be able to help you with photography.
- Don’t continuously write notes and reminders, some of your flat mates could perceive it as quite passive aggressive. They only make problems worse. If you must write one at least leave your name so they don’t accuse someone else. It’s always best to just talk it out anyway!
Finally – don’t worry. It is never as dramatic as you may imagine before you arrive to halls, but these are just some simple tips that just may come into at some point during your time in halls.
But do make sure you have an amazing time, we are sure you will!
- Read Next
- Black is reel film festival - Open call Black History Month with UAL Social Re-watch our welcome webinars Starting university: a wellbeing guide for students Blackground | UAL Social Black is Reel | UAL Social How to self-isolate after travelling How to self-isolate with Coronavirus symptoms Benefits when using UAL Halls food delivery service Black is Rhythm Dance Session | UAL Social
- How to accept your Accommodation 'offer' Our handy halls checklist Check in checklist Find out about our Airport Collection Service It's time to book your arrival slot for UAL Halls! Watch our video | Keeping you safe in halls Order all your essential items for halls Let's talk about insurance... Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria