Living with so many others in halls can be tricky but flat mates are all often best friends. There’s no secret to getting on with your flat, but here are a few common sense do’s and don’ts to help you get on from experience:
- Don’t burst into the flat at 4am trip over the hoover, walk into a door, smash some plates and cry down the phone. Someone probably has to be up early for lectures.
- Do be generous and lend your flat mates a spare charger or cake tin, they’ll return the favour later on.
- Don’t be shy about talking to your housemates about any problems before they get worse.
- Do make sure you keep your communal space tidy when you have created any mess.
- Do invite your flat mates to join for dinner every now and then – there’s nothing that cures homesickness better than a ‘pseudo-family’ meal.
- Don’t leave your laundry in the dryer once it’s finished – Set a timer so you know when it’s done.
- Do remember their birthdays!
- Don’t forget your key.
- Don't complain publicly on social media; Facebook, Twitter, etc, it will only make situations worse if anyone finds it.
- Do give your time to help them out with something – you’re probably all on different courses and you might be able to help them with graphic design and they might be able to help you with photography.
- Don’t continuously write notes and reminders, some of your flat mates could perceive it as quite passive aggressive. They only make problems worse. If you must write one at least leave your name so they don’t accuse someone else. It’s always best to just talk it out anyway!
Finally – don’t worry. It is never as dramatic as you may imagine before you arrive to halls, but these are just some simple tips that just may come into at some point during your time in halls.
But do make sure you have an amazing time, we are sure you will!
- Read Next
- Positive Psychology | UAL Social 8 FREE apps to help you during social distancing Discover online meditation with UAL's Chaplaincy Seven new indoor hobbies to try Shamanic Healing Practice with Julie | UAL Social My Top 10 Series to Watch On Netflix Book Club | UAL Social A message from Endsleigh Insurance | Coronavirus Top 10 films to watch on Netflix HiiT Workout | UAL Social
- Paid summer jobs for UAL students Legs, Bums and Tums with Bam Bam | UAL Social Thinking of returning to halls next year? Healthcare For The Costume Store Best places to eat and drink in London Victoria Why I returned and lived in halls for 3 years Healthcare for The Glassyard Building Top 5 things to do in Lewisham 2019's WELCOME WEEKEND VIDEO IS HERE