Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time.

I Agree

Essential Info

Essential moving in reminders

By UALHalls 18 Sep 2017

Whilst living in UAL Halls will be lots of fun, there are a few essential things you need to think about before you start. We strongly recommend you fill in your inventory so that we know when you leave what condition your room was in when you arrived. Please also remember to remember to get a TV Licence if you need one, double check what you need to do if you have parcels delivered and know the full details of your essential insurance requirements. Read on to find out more: 

  • Inventory

You will be given an inventory to complete upon arrival, some halls have paper documents and some will provide you with an inventory on your student portal. This inventory lists every item in your room. Carefully check the condition of all items in your room and note any damage on the inventory. If any items listed are missing note this also. Although this isn't a really fun task, we strongly suggest you make sure you set aside some time to complete it. It is important as it will ensure when your deposit is returned at the end of the year you are not charged for any damage that may have been caused by previous tenants.

We strongly recommend you return your inventory to reception within 24 hours of arrival. This document will ensure that you are not incorrectly charged for the damage/loss of any items following your departure from halls.

  • Guests

Guests are allowed to stay a maximum of 3 nights in a row, during a two-week period. You must let your Residence Manager or Accommodation Manager know in advance and they must be signed in at the reception.

  • Television Licence

If you use a TV in your room or stream or record live TV on your laptop you must purchase a TV license. TV licenses can be purchased at most post offices. You should be aware that frequent inspections are made on our premises for abuse of TV licensing law by the authorities.

For more details visit:

  • Parcels or letters that need to be signed for

Where possible these items will be received by a member of the Halls team and held for you in the main site office. You will need to provide ID at the time of collection for all post. Further details about how to find out if you've received mail will be in your Welcome pack. 

Please note that signing for and holding mail is an additional service which can be removed at any time. We cannot accept any liability for parcels held for residents. If you do not want the Residence team to receive and/or sign for your post then please let them know.

  • Insurance

Student possessions insurance has been provided through Endsleigh for every student living in the following halls: Brooke Hall, Cordwainers Court, The Costume Store, Gardens House, Glassyard Building, Highline Building, Portland House, Sketch House and Will Wyatt Court.This covers a range of belongings in your room, including laptops, sports and electrical equipment, clothes, and frozen food. This has been arranged by the University of the Arts London at no extra cost to students. Please note, if you are living at Don Gratton House, Emily Bowes Court, Furzedown Student Village or Manna Ash House, you will need to speak to your Accommodation Manager who will be able to provide you with the information about your specific insurance coverage.

Find out more info about Insurance on the UAL Accommodation website